Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Why Japanese?

In middle school, I had a few friends whose families are from Japan. They often spoke in Japanese around me and I could never understand...So I decided to take Japanese in high school. After studying Japanese in high school, I wanted to continue learning the language in college. I love learning about Japanese culture, food, Miyazaki movies, and so many other features that make Japan a unique country. I have never been able to speak another language; college seems to be the perfect time to learn. I have not been to Japan but hope to visit some time soon. Even though I studied Japanese for a few years, I have a hard time remembering vocabulary and grammar structures. So far our class has learned about sixty words and we have only had class for one and a half weeks! I can't wait to see how much we know by the end of the year.

7 comments:

  1. I also studied Japanese for a few years in high school but never really learned it with any fluency. Let's hope college will be better suited for learning Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for how much we'll know by the end of the year too! And Miyazaki movies are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the vocab is difficult! I always seem to mix two words together into a completely invented word! Japan is a very special place, hopefully you will go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky! My high school didn't offer Japanese so I'm really excited to take it now. I wish you the best of luck with this year and hopefully we'll all improve together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer the questions you posted on my blog, Tokyo is fantastic. I absolutely love it there. Some of my favorite places are Harajuku and Shibuya (especially at night). Those are both typical places for young people haha. Yes, I do speak Japanese with my mom, although most of the time we use English. My dad took Japanese in college and became fluent in it by spending a lot of time in Japan, so our whole family actually speaks together, but again we always fall into using English since we are in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have learned a lot of words haven't we! It adds up so fast that when you actually stop to count it is quite amazing.

    Good luck learning!

    ps. my dog's name was spelled Mari-chan, not Maddie FYI lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my name is Idera and i am in the 2:40 Japanese session. I can completely relate to why you're taking Japanese. I took is in high school, but I switched schools and wasn't able to continue. College is the perfect time to learn a language. I decided to take Japanese not just to learn the language, but also about the culture. Maybe we'll meet sometime. Sorry to intrude on your blog, but it was a homework assignment. (:

    ReplyDelete